A recipe from Taste of Home magazine, these delicious bars, with their flaky crust and scrumptious fruit filling, are the perfect way to serve apple pie to a crowd.
- 4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 c. shortening
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 T lemon juice
- 8-10 T cold water
- 7 c. finely chopped, peeled, apples
- 2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- dash ground nutmeg
- 1 c. confectioner’s sugar
- 1 T milk
- 1 T lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, lemon juice and water.
- Gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide in half.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out one portion of dough between 2 large sheets of waxed paper, into a 17×12-inch sheet.
- Transfer to an ungreased 15×10-inch baking pan.
- Press pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Trim pastry even with top edge.
- In a large bowl, toss apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Spread over crust.
- Roll out remaining dough to fit over the top of pan; place over filling.
- Trim edges; brush edges between pastry with water or milk and pinch to seal.
- Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 375 F for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine glaze ingredients until smooth.
- Drizzle over bars before cutting.