This recipe for tart dough is used in a majority of the recipes in my copy of Martha Stewart’s Pies and Tarts.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
- Put flour, salt, and sugar in bowl of food processor. All ingredients should be cold.
- Add butter and process for approximately 10 minutes, or just until mixture resembles coarse meal. (you can also do this by hand with a pastry cutter)
- Add ice water drop by drop through feed tube with machine running, just until the dough holds together without being wet or sticky.
- Do not process more than 30 seconds.
- Test dough by pressing a small amount together, if it is still crumbly, add a bit more water.
- Turn dough into a large piece of plastic wrap, press into a flat circle and refrigerate for at least an hour.