Toasted almonds and rich chocolate cover these luscious homemade toffee pieces.
- 1 c. unblanched whole almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 3/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chip pieces
- 3/4 c. milk chocolate pieces
- 1/3 c. white baking pieces
- 2 T instant malted milk powder
- 1 c. butter
- 1 c. sugar
- 3 T water
- Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of pan.
- Combine chopped almonds and baking pieces in a bowl.
- Sprinkle half of mixture (about 1 1/2 c.) into bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle malted milk powder over mixture.
- Combine butter, sugar and water in a 2-quart heavy saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Clip a candy thermometer to side of pan.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 290 F, soft crack stage (about 15 minutes). Mixture should boil at a steady rate over entire surface. (Adjust heat as necessary so that mixture maintains a steady boil.)
- Remove from heat, remove thermometer.
- Quickly pour over nuts and chocolate pieces in pan.
- Immediately sprinkle remaining nut mixture over toffee.
- Cool for 1 hour before breaking into pieces.
- If necessary, chill about 15 minutes or until chocolate is firm.