Double-Dutch Chocolate Holiday Cookies
This recipe for chocolate-y cookies originally comes from the December 2011 Taste of Home publication, Gifts in a Jar. I love recipe in a jar cookies, because I can prep cookies and display them in a pretty jar until I’m ready to make them. Now, that being said, there’s no reason that you have to put the dry ingredients in a fancy jar – just make cookies straight away. This recipe uses the red and green Christmas M&Ms, but I’m planning on making some with the pastel Easter M&Ms soon.
Dry jar ingredients -
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup double-dutch dark cocoa
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar – this recipe calls for light, but I use dark anyway
- 1 1/4 cups holiday M&Ms
- 1/3 cup white baking chips
Moist cookie ingredients -
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For making jarred ingredients -
- In small bowl, combine flour baking soda and salt.
- In 1-quart glass jar layer flour mixture, cocoa, sugar, brown sugar, M&Ms, and baking chips.
- Cover and store in a cool dry place up to 1 month.
For finishing cookies -
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In large bowl, beat butter, egg, and vanilla until well blended
- Add contents of jar, mix thoroughly.
- Drop onto prepared baking sheets, by rounded teaspoonfuls, 2-inches apart.
- Bake 12-14 minutes, or until set.
- Cool on sheet for 2-3 minutes before removing to cooling rack.