Coconut Cream Truffles
This recipe for truffles comes from the November 1979 issue of Cuisine.
- 3/4 cups whipping cream
- 10 oz semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 can (9 oz) coconut cream
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds chocolate coating
- 2 cups shredded fresh coconut or unsweetened flake coconut
- Heat cream in medium sauce pan to simmering; remove from heat.
- Add chopped semisweet chocolate and butter, whisking until smooth.
- Cool to luke warm.
- Stir in coconut cream.
- Refrigerate covered in a medium sized bowl until cold and thickened (about 3 hours)
- Beat mixture with mixer until fluffy and thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Freeze mixture covered until firm (4 hours to overnight).
- Once set, scoop with a #100 scoop (or melon baller).
- Quickly roll into 1-inch balls.
- Freeze uncovered on baking sheets until hard (about 1 hour).
- Temper chocolate (or melt dipping chocolate).
- Dip centers, immediately rolling in coconut and let harden.
- Store in an airtight container.