These flowers are a fun and colorful way to celebrate the spring holiday.
- 1/2 cup butter (must be butter), softened
- 1 3-ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Pastel coated candies
- Optional: add 1/4 teaspoon almond extract for a fruitier flavor
- Beat butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occassionally.
- Beat in egg and extract(s) until combined.
- Add flour.
- Mix until combined.
- Cover and chill dough for about an hour. Dough should be easy to handle.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Shape dough into 1/4 inch balls.
- Roll balls in colored sugar.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Use scissors to snip balls in half (3/4 of the way through).
- Snip each half into thirds, making a total of 6 wedges.
- Sprinkle additional colored sugar in the center of each.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, or until edges are browned.
- Remove from oven and immediately place candy piece in the center of each cookie.
- Transfer to wire racks for cooling.
Makes about 2 dozen. They can be stored in an airtight container (use wax paper to separate layers) for about a week at room temperature, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.