I made some fabulous pecan bars for a party on the 4th. One of the things I love about this recipe is it’s like having pecan pie, but doesn’t require as much effort to make or eat. I found this recipe in my Taste of Home baking book and wanted to share it with you. Also, while the recipe is not gluten free as written, it can be easily converted to gluten free by trading out the all-purpose flour for your favorite gluten free alternative.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups corn syrup
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt; cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press into a greased 15 x 10 x 1-in. baking pan. (If you don’t have one this size, bake in large casserole dish.)
- Bake 20 minutes.
- For filling, in a large bowl, whisk eggs, corn syrup, sugar, melted butter and vanilla.
- Stir in pecans.
- Spread over hot crust.
- Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until filling is set.(This will take about 40 minutes if using a casserole dish.)
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack and cut into bars.