Almost everyone keeps an emergency kit in their car or bag with things that they need in case of a physical emergency – bandaids, gauze, antibacterial cream, and the like — so why not keep a kit for your mental health too?
I ran across the idea on Reddit a few weeks ago and thought it was great. I was already keeping a few things for my anxiety with me all the time, but this was a great way to get it all organized and easy to find.
What’s in my Anxiety Kit?
- A pouch – I use a cosmetics pouch to hold all my stuff. This helps me to keep everything in one place and get to it easily.
- Meds – I keep my emergency panic attack medicine in my pouch, along with chewable Pepto tablets and Tums.
- Something to fidget with – I love the Crayola Globbles and Beadeez Stress balls and my fidget beans (which I have attached to the zipper on my pouch).
- Something soft – If you have space in your pouch, something soft and comforting like a small keychain plush is a nice addition.
There are a few things I try to always keep with me that don’t fit in my anxiety kit. These include:
- My phone – I keep some word games on it for when I need to distract my brain from intrusive thoughts, along with some apps with soothing music and meditations.
- A book – I love to read, and reading can be another great distraction for me when I’m having anxiety issues. I generally keep easy to read books, like an old Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys mystery with me for times like this. I particularly like these books because they are easy to read with storylines that are interesting, and I know that nothing truly bad is going to happen to the characters.