Sparkling Candy Corn Cookies
These bite-sized treats resemble candy corn and have a hint of orange flavor.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Orange paste or gel food color
- Yellow paste or gel food color
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9×5-inch loaf pan with waxed paper or plastic food wrap. Set aside.
- Combine butter and 1 cup sugar in a large bowl; beat at medium speed until creamy.
- Add egg, orange juice, orange peel and salt. Continue beating until well mixed.
- Reduce speed to low add flour and baking soda. Beat until well mixed.
- Divide dough into thirds. Press 1/3 of white dough evenly onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Place another 1/3 of dough back into same bowl.
- Add a small amount of orange food color; mix until color is well blended.
- Press orange dough evenly over white dough in pan.
- Place remaining 1/3 of dough into another medium bowl.
- Add small amount of yellow food color; mix until color is well blended.
- Press yellow dough evenly over orange dough in pan.
- Cover with plastic food wrap; refrigerate until firm (at least 2 hours or overnight).
- Place 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl; set aside.
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Invert loaf pan to remove dough. Peel off waxed paper.
- Place layered dough onto cutting surface. Cut loaf crosswise into 1/4-inch slices using a sharp knife, trimming edges to make even, if necessary.
- Cut each slice into six wedges.
- Place 1-inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned.
- Cool one minute; remove from cookie sheets.
- Immediately place warm cookies in bowl with sugar; roll in sugar to coat.
- Place cookies onto cooling rack.