Almond-Chocolate Cream Truffles
This recipe for Almond-Chocolate Cream Truffles comes from the Nov. 1979 edition of Cuisine Magazine. It makes 4 1/2 dozen truffles.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 10 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1-1/4 cups coarsely chopped toasted unblanched almonds (about 6 oz.)
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds semisweet chocolate coating
- Heat cream in medium sized sauce pan to simmering; remove from heat.
- Add chopped semisweet chocolate and butter, whisking until smooth.
- Cool to luke-warm and stir in almonds.
- Refrigerate covered in a medium sized bowl, stirring occasionally until firm (4 hours to overnight).
- Once set, scoop with a #100 scoop (or melon baller).
- Quickly roll into 1-inch balls.
- Freeze uncovered on baking sheets until hard (about 1 hour).
- Temper chocolate (or melt dipping chocolate).
- Dip centers decorating as desired and let harden.
- Store in an airtight container.
Brazil Nut Variation – substitute toasted Brazil nuts for almonds and white chocolate coating for semisweet. Dust with unsweeted cocoa before coating sets.