Petit Pain au Chocolate
I may have used affiliate links for some of the items in this post. Using an affiliate link to purchase an item won't cost you any more money, but I may receive payment if you click on a link and make a purchase. For more information, visit the disclosures page.
My recipe for Petit Pain au Chocolate (read small bread with chocolate) comes from the KitchenAid recipe collection. It makes 8 sweet rolls with chocolate centers.
- 3 – 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 package (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 1 ablespoon milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 milk chocolate candy bar (6 oz) cut into 16 pieces
- 2 teaspoons colored sugar
- Combine 3 cups flour, granulated sugar, yeast and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- Combine 1 cup milk and butter in small saucepan.
- Heat over low heat until mixture is 120 – 130 F (butter does not need to completely melt).
- Gradually stir in milk mixture and egg into flour mixture to make a soft dough that forms a ball.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Kneed dough 8-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding remaining 1/2 cup flour to prevent sticking if necessary.
- Shape dough into ball; place in large greased bowl.
- Turn dough over so that top is greased.
- Cover with towel; let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until double in bulk.
- Punch down dough.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface 1 minute. Roll dough back and forth, forming loaf.
- Cut loaf into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll 1 dough piece into 6-inch round.
- Place 2 pieces chocolate in center.
- Fold edges into center around chocolate.
- Place seam side down on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining dough pieces.
- Place rolls 3-inches apart on baking sheet.
- Cover rolls lightly with towel and let rise in warm place 20-30 minutes or until slightly puffed.
- Brush tops with remaining tablespoon milk.
- Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Bake 12-15 minutes or until rolls are golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Comment