Heavenly Angel Food Cake
This light, moist cake is special enough for most any occasion.
- 12 egg whites
- 1 1/4 c. confections sugar
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c. sugar
- Measure out egg whites to equal 1 1/2 cups. Discarding extra.
- Place in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Sift confectioners sugar and flour together twice. Set aside.
- Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites.
- Beat at medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, about 2 T as a time, beating on high until stiff and glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 c. at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Cut though the batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
- Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350 F for 40-45 minutes, until lightly browned and entire top appears dry.
- Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about an hour.
- Run knife around center and side of tube pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.