An Updated Quilt Layout

I may have used affiliate links for some of the items in this post. Using an affiliate link to purchase an item won't cost you any more money, but I may receive payment if you click on a link and make a purchase. For more information, visit the disclosures page.

I’ve had lots of requests recently to use the layout design I originally made for my #DYOSampler Quilt, which became the base for my Communique Quilt.  So, I took a little time and made a nice clean (digital) version of the layout for you all.

I think this version will be much more useful to you with easier to read block sizes, including sizes for the 2″ strip pieces.

Blocks

In an attempt to make your life a little easier, I've totaled up the number of blocks you will need in each size.  I've also included some recommendations for types of blocks to use.  Feel free to use those recommendations… or not.  Let your imagination run wild!

Block Size
Number of Blocks
Recommended Block Type
2"
Solid
This block is so small that I don't recommend piecing it … unless of course, you're a masochist.
4"
Solid or Simple Piecing
This block is still pretty small, so I would stick with a solid block or something simple like a Half-Square Triangle or Pinwheel
6"
Simple or Moderate Piecing
This block size lends itself to simple piecing like Half-Square Triangles and Pinwheels, along with moderately more complicated or "busy" blocks like the Log Cabin or Friendship Stars.
8"
Moderate to Complicated Piecing
Blocks this size should either have interesting piecing or a fabric pattern that lends itself to the larger size, such as a larger fussy-cut print.
10"
Moderate to Complicated Piecing
12"
Moderate to Complicated Piecing
16"
Panel or Complicated to Intricate Piecing
This is a great area to showcase your favorite panel fabric, as I did in my original quilt, or to show off your favorite quilt block.  Because the block is larger, it will make it easier to piece more intricately designed blocks. Larger Pieces are always easier to work with.

Strips

This is a great place to use up leftover strips from a jellyroll, but these pieces can easily be cut from yardage as well.

Block Size
Number of Blocks
2×10"
2×12"
2×14"
2×16"
2×18"

Get Your Copy

Click the link below to download a printable PDF of the pattern.

Download the PDF.

Your Projects

As you may know, I used this design as the center section of a king-size bed quilt.

I'd love to see your finished project! Share a link in the comments, or use the hashtag #CommuniqueQuilt on Instagram. I'm hoping to make one in this size soon, so look for it here, or on your favorite social network.

41 Comments

1. Rhonda on January 25, 2018 at 10:59 am

This is awesome! Thank you!

• Andrea on January 25, 2018 at 11:19 am

You are very welcome! I’m excited that so many people have found the design useful.

2. Mary Jane on February 4, 2018 at 1:02 pm

Hi Andrea,
    I would like permission to use your layout to make a quilt with your layout. I will be using vintage
    linens.

• Andrea on February 9, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Please feel free to use the design!

3. Lynn on March 2, 2018 at 11:31 am

Do u think this layout could be made into a crib or baby sized quilt? I love the layout!

• Andrea on March 5, 2018 at 8:06 am

Crib quilts are normally about 45×60. Let me see what I can do for you. I’m sure I can come up with something similar to fit that size.

4. Connie Martin on March 26, 2018 at 6:38 pm

Would like to use your layout to dos king sized quilt with vintage linens. Permission, please?

5. Danna on March 29, 2018 at 9:11 am

I am presuming that 1/2 in needs to be added to each block size for seam allowance?

• Andrea on March 29, 2018 at 9:22 am

That is correct. If you are using standard 1/4″ seams, you should add 1/2″ to your measurements.

6. Becky Schultz on April 6, 2018 at 12:17 am

Wow! Glad I was on Pintrest tonight and found this great layout. Thanks!!!

7. Rita Hughes on April 17, 2018 at 4:47 pm

I’m trying to download the PDF link and can only download the layout. It isn’t including the detail on ideas on what fabrics to use based on the size of the block or piece. I’ve tried to highlight the infor in order to print but it isn’t allowing this either. Is it possible to include this info with the layout for printing and downloading as a PDF? Thank you!

• Andrea on April 18, 2018 at 8:06 am

I will make that addition to the document. In the mean time, I’ll email that information to you.

8. deb swords on April 28, 2018 at 3:06 pm

what a great combination of squares and rectangles! Thank you for your creation. I plan to use up alot of scraps to make it.

9. Isabelle Jolly on June 20, 2018 at 11:05 pm

Merci beaucoup Andrea, je vais le faire pour ma petite fille verdion bébé. Belle journée à vous

• Andrea on June 25, 2018 at 8:41 am

Soyez le bienvenu!

10. Linda Duff on September 4, 2018 at 1:12 pm

Hi Andrea,
    Love your quilt design! May I use this for a Quilt of Valor, but add a couple of borders in order to meet the ‘best size’ requirement for a QOV? (Best size is 60″ x 80″ which is what I usually aim for.)
    Thanks for your consideration!

• Andrea on September 5, 2018 at 9:15 am

Please feel free to use the design! I hope it turns out well.

• Linda Duff on September 5, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Thanks much for your permission! I appreciate it!

11. Pat V on October 4, 2018 at 6:43 am

This is great Andrea, may I please use this layout? I’ve been looking for something like this for a long time.

• Andrea on October 4, 2018 at 8:58 am

Please do! I’d love to see the finished quilt too.

12. Helen on December 6, 2018 at 5:31 pm

Hi loved making this quilt found 2 of the panels hard tho don’t no have to put my pic on lol x

• Andrea on December 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm

Which panels did you have difficulty with? I’d love to be able to rework the design if necessary to make the quilt easier to piece.

13. Mary on January 24, 2019 at 8:54 am

Thank you do much for sharing this pattern. I have a good number of vintage sheets,large snd small scraps, as well as vintage hankies. This will be the perfect pattern for them! Quilters really are some of the most generous people 🙂

• Andrea on January 25, 2019 at 10:19 am

You are most welcome. Just remember that the layout does not have your seam allowance, so you’ll want to add half an inch to the block size for your seams.

14. Brooke Weller on March 1, 2019 at 7:52 am

I tried to print the PDF of the layout and the actual layout (the large size where you can see the whole layout) did not show up, only the header. Is there any way you can get that layout to me. The small one on your page is too small to really get the idea. Thanks, Brooke

15. Margaret Koorey on March 11, 2019 at 6:14 pm

Would love to make this. I have already done Long Time Gone and Gypsy Wife and enjoyed doing them.

• Andrea on March 12, 2019 at 1:04 pm

If you decide to make it, please share photos! Note that blocks are listed as their finished sizes, so you will want to add a 1/2-inch for your seam allowances.

• Melanie on March 21, 2019 at 1:49 pm

Hi my mom is going to use this pattern to make a blanket for my daughter. I know everyone is using scrapes but what how many different patterns do you think she should use? Just a rough guess. It is a beautiful pattern.

• Andrea on March 25, 2019 at 9:55 am

In my version, I used log cabin blocks for all of of mine, except for the 4 and 2″ blocks, which I left solid, and the 16″ blocks, which I used panel pieces for. I’ve also seen the quilt done entirely with solid blocks of fabric, and with every block having a different design. I’ve collected the completed versions I’ve found here: http://mouseinmypocket.com/downloadable-layouts-patterns/. Hopefully they will help you to get a better sense of what you want.

16. DianeM on April 19, 2019 at 6:27 pm

Andrea love ❤️ this quilt. Hav saved to my ‘bucket list’ n excited ? to make it. The PDF link u posted on 1st March 2019 the sizes are mixed n there is no ‘king size’ pattern. Thank you for this beautiful design ?? and I will definitely post my quilt when completed

17. Julia Smith on June 24, 2019 at 12:33 pm

I just used this pattern for another scrap quilt an shared it with some quilting friends. I have a picture I’d like to send you. Thank you so much.

• Andrea on July 18, 2019 at 9:05 am

I would love to see your finished quilt. You can send the pic via email to mouse@mouseinmypocket.com, or just share a link if you’re sharing it somewhere online already.

18. pat v on July 13, 2019 at 3:56 pm

Thank you for making this easy Andrea, I know it must have taken some work to get it all written down and as clear as it is. I’m starting today to make this thats been put on the back burner for too long, but thanks to you now I can proceed. You are very appreciated here in Maine!

• Andrea on July 17, 2019 at 11:28 am

Glad I was able to help! I hope it turns out beautifully.

19. Jennifer Williams on July 18, 2019 at 11:37 am

Hi, Andrea! I used some nice big scraps (mostly Tula Pink) for my throw layout. It will look funky when it’s done but I hope I choose my color scheme wisely. I don’t have the same fabric for some blocks (the 6×6 and 8×8 are not all the same fabric) so I will lay it out carefully before I start piecing.

Just one question – there are a couple of places where the seams do not match up evenly to form a good block – at the bottom left middleish and the right second “block” up. Will I simply need to leave the needle down and turn to catch the “floppy” seam, as I call it? I hope this makes sense. I’m just trying to get that piecing in some kind of sewing order. Thanks!