What 5 elements would your ideal book have?
Choosing 5 things to make the perfect book seems almost as challenging as writing it, but here are the things that come to mind for me.
- A world in which magic is possible. – Think fantasy.
- A map. – Maps are amazing. They help you to follow the story. I know that not every book needs a map, but you just know a book is going to be amazing when you open up the cover and see one.
- A satisfying ending. – It doesn’t have to be a happy ending, just one that brings the right amount of closure.
- Diverse characters. – I can deal with a book that features a CIS white male or female as the protagonist. As a CIS white woman, that’s easy for me to identify with, but I need diversity in the rest of the cast, just as I need diversity in the world around me. It makes the world a better place. For example, the “Lady of Shadows,” Detta/Odetta in Stephen King’s Dark Tower series is magnificent – black woman who lost her legs in an accident.
- Part of a series. – I love stand alone books, don’t get me wrong, but if this book is perfect, let’s make more of them.
What would you want in your perfect book?Leave a Comment »